05 June 2015

Daily Practical Practice

Dashiel Peter says, "Hello out there from bonny Scotland. I'm almost a year old!"
Often I meet people who think the practice of ashtanga vinyasa yoga is a very rigid practice that has many rules. Often they think they have to kill themselves to do it. 

This isn't the case at all. 

Daily ashtanga practice can be done with as much energy as you have to put into it, it doesn't have to be hard all of the time. 

Being a new mother, I find myself happy to get on my mat to practice. I am not concerned which series I do or how "hard" I practice. Just arriving on my mat and moving and breathing every day is more than enough. 

There have been times in my life where practice has been the most important daily routine and I didn't focus on anything else. And there have been other years where I practiced every day with the least amount of effort applied.

Now I find myself in the middle road after swaying to both extremes. I have done bare bones practices for a length of time and I have done full throttle practices every day as well.  

As a new mother, I am tired most days. To manage this and sustain a six day a week committed practice, I make a practical plan. 

I recommend this method for people who are working intensely, and people who are traveling. This would be great for anyone who is having a harder time than usual, dealing with challenges, or even just needing more sleep than anything else.

While we are on retreat, studying directly in India with time off from our jobs and householder commitments, and when we have carved out devoted time in our daily lives to focus just on the practice, we can study as deeply as possible with full intention on practice for hours on end. This is wonderful when this can happen and I fully urge people to dive into their inward journey as much as possible.

Having a practical practice plan balances this intensity, there must be a balance: we can't sustain deep practices over a long period of time. The body needs a break, so does the mind. Note how when practitioners study "in-depth" it isn't every day for an extended amount of time, usually it is no longer than six months.

If one WERE to practice full throttle every day, there is a higher chance of injury, quitting the practice altogether and burnout. This is what we DON'T want to do, we WANT to practice throughout our entire lives, so let's stretch it out over time and with ease.

Chakra Bandhasana with David Garrigues in 2011. One of the very few photos I have of DG assisting me.
Patanjali describes that higher awareness of the self - one of the foundational aims of daily yogic practice - is very near for those who apply themselves intensely (yoga sutra 1.21: "tivrasamveganamasannah"). But it can also come to those who apply themselves with mrdu - mild effort (1.22). 

In sutra 1.22, Patanjali defines three types of yogic efforts that lead one towards understanding samadhi. Practice can be mild, medium or intense; this amount of effort in turn relates to how fast or slow you understand yoga. 

Another way of understanding this is that there may be a few years where you are learning intensely on a regular basis. You are living in the same town with your teacher, you are seeing them daily, or you are on retreat. 

Then there will be a phase where you won't be progressing so quickly. Maybe at this time you won't be learning any new "postures" but you will be finding your own understanding of the practice; here you are learning how to apply what you have been already taught. You begin to use your own language to describe it. It becomes yours. This is where you build your "bhakti muscle" as my friend Tiffany Lee says.

Then the cycle continues: you'll be there for a while until something changes again, you see your teacher and something shifts. You learn the lesson needed to be learned, and you move on. 

This shifting and realigning is natural. Having a few years of enjoying what you have been taught is important to practice. Don't push all of the time. Or are you that type of yogi?

If we follow Patanjali's suggestion in sutra 1.22, we could have three potential practices IF we were to take the middle road.

1. Do an easy practice (a mild practice in time you spend on your mat and in effort). This practice could be twenty minutes to an hour. It is showing up and putting your time in with whatever you have in the tank to do. This could happen once or twice a week depending on how busy you are. For me this happens at least once a week: the standing and finishing asanas only - including savasana. Times that are very challenging this may be your practice - without shame or guilt. Sure it is a short one, but it is still a beautiful one.

2. Do a medium one (medium in length and in effort). This is the practice that Goldilocks would say is, "Juuuuust right". This practice is the one you try to do three to four days per week. This could be the practice you could do without working so hard but one where you have to still have to apply more effort than the first practice. One hour to an hour and a half. This is the meat of your practice - you spend most of your days doing this one - during this practice perhaps you also approach the asana you are currently working on or "stopping" at. Do this 3-4 days.

3. Enjoy a long one (intense and endurance based). This practice is the one you do one or two times per week. It is your big practice, the one that you pull everything from your tank to do. It could be an hour and a half to three hours. How much time do you have to spend on your practice? Could you turn off your phone a little earlier in the morning to make this practice happen more often? Or go to sleep much earlier? This is the practice I try to do twice a week with the goal of doing it three times a week. For some householders with big jobs and morning commitments in the week, this could be on a Saturday or a Sunday.

**

The reason we vary practice is so that we can:

1), focus on the breath and the vinyasa
2), maintain steadiness and consistency in our foundations
3), establish an unwavering commitment to getting on the mat six days a week 
4), enjoy practicing!

**
To Practice

I will practice today because the day is grey
I take practice today because the day is sunny
I completed my practice today because I needed to breathe
I needed to understand myself better

My body says I need to stretch
I need to chill out
I must learn to relax

I practice because no one tells me to
I practice because I feel God watching me 

Often the practice
Smells like the food I ate yesterday
I'm covered in sweat and I am drooling
I try to hold it together
I feel like an elephant
I am heavy
I unravel

Often during the practice
I am floating in the clouds, again with the Lord
My body is light and my mind doesn't fight

The earth enjoys my company
I join the world around me
I am taken care of
I do not have to be afraid
I love myself, my community and the blessed world

I practice because I believe in it
and it believes in me


Utthi Plutthi - one of the gestures you ALWAYS do, the last gesture before taking rest, the gesture that builds bandhas, builds bhakti, builds peace within.







10 comments:

  1. Great piece, thanks Sarah, seems to have come along just when I needed to hear it :-) thank you! See you soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine, thank you so much for your message - I am looking forward to our time together late July! Lots of good practice time for you ahead, dear yogi. Enjoy the lighter days outside too...

      Love and light,

      Sarah

      Delete
  2. Bhakti Sarah! Thank you for the helpful article. Did you write the poem? I like it. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ivana!

      Thank you for reading and enjoying. Yes, I wrote the poem, I love poetry!

      Lots of love to you, Sarah x

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Ah lots of love to you Amy, hope you are well and enjoying the warm Philly summer! Sarah xx

      Delete
  4. Just turning up......that'll do for now.


    Happy birthday Dash x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah, I found your blog because I've been in Aberdeen for 5 months now and I've been feeling my commitment to the practice to fade away. That saddens me. Before coming here I was doing an average of 5 full pratices of 2 hours each every week back in Lisbon, where I come from. As soon as I arrived to Aberdeen I tried to fit my practice into the Love Yoga schedule but because I start working at 7h30/7h45 (in the countryside, not even in the city centre) I found that the practices were becoming a stressing part of my day, trying to fit the exercises, shower, breakfast and commute time in less than 2h. I'd been trying to find some inspiration and guidance for my ashtanga routine for months now with no luck. Every yogui seems to share just how important it is to pratice everyday. But to be honest, for me most of the times I feel guilty for not being able to manage everything and that just blocks me from doing anything at all. It even made me feel lazy, which I know I'm not because I keep on doing other physical activies that I can manage within my schedule. I've now read your post and it made me feel less guilty. Thank you for sharing your pratical approach to the pratice, it gave me a new insight and strenght to keep on doing it. Diana x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana, wonderful to hear of your journey; ashtanga isn't supposed to be stressful! Keep doing exactly what you are doing - practicing as much as you can in a practical way. I'll be up in Aberdeen 21-22 of November teaching at Love Yoga - hopefully you can make it then!? Much love to you in your practice endeavours and I look forward to meeting you, Sarah xx

      Delete