21 January 2012

Ten Mysore Tips for Newbies

Recently I taught a Beginner's course at AYS where I highlighted the foundational elements of ashtanga and introduced Mysore style of practice. I had such a fun time sharing my love of practice with others - especially beginners! These are often the students who are most willing to learn, listen, and try something new. Since David is in India, I am running the Mysore program at AYS and it is my goal to help beginners learn the practice. I am teaching another Beginner's Workshop on February 11 - do come!

I love teaching beginners - all I have to do is think about how much happiness my own practice gives me and share what I know to be true: ashtanga yoga is a spiritual practice that allows you to reflect and enter a meditative state in a practical way. The method is superb as well, there is a series and a plan to the glorious madness, and all you have to do is practice. Tune in. Breathe. And take more practice!

Courageous Beginners, snaps to you! May we all have a beginner's mind when we roll out our mats...and be able to listen to the subtle teachings that come from our own daily efforts. Some of the best lessons come from self inquiry. It takes guts - throw that ego out the door; allow yourself to be able to receive the information that comes to you, be willing to learn. Jai-ho!

I still feel as though I am a beginner. I learn more about myself with each practice. With recently completing the third series, I have become a brand-spankin' new beginner all over again. I have had to learn the proper vinyasa, the correct breath and the right dhyana (meditative state). A deep relationship to ourselves happens during yoga practice, but only once we have done it for a long time. So with this, ask me in five years how the third series is going - then I will be able to tell you more about it. After only doing it for six months, it is always a challenge, and each time I practice it, I am constantly learning. Take this information with you, beginner, to understand that this is a constant practice that is evolving.  You as a practitioner will always be learning, always evolving, always going inward and more deeper into the practice. 

Rumi says, "Dig, dig, keep digging. There is water there somewhere."


*****

As a beginner, the first asana is the hardest, and it is called, "get over it asana". This means to take that first step and get on your mat. What is holding you back from learning something new? Whatever that is, it has to go.

Here's a very short list of tips to get you tasting the possible glory of "Supta, Jump!" and begin a Mysore Ashtanga yoga practice. Please comment below if you wanna share your wisdom with others. There is also a great link to Claudia's blog and book below, so this is another glimpse of Mysore-beta.

Ten Mysore Tips for Newbies:

1. Set your practice time to the same time each time you practice; don't think that you are going to step onto your mat "when you feel like it". Do the practice rain or shine, at the same time each time you practice. This will build routine. If it is 5 pm because you're a working mom, so be it. Strive for a morning practice some day. 

2. You need to have your family and/or partner on board so that he or she will help you get your sleepy asana out of bed to make #1 possible. Also, he or she will help you carve out room in your day so that you CAN get onto the mat. You must be supported on this journey!

3. When you add a new practice to your life, you need energy! You must go to bed early. Especially adding an early morning daily practice to your life, you will be tired in the beginning. You have to prepare yourself physically for a whole new challenge. Good sleep is paramount.


4. Start planning out your meals so that you don't eat dinner after six or seven pm...you want a rested belly when you sleep for deeper relaxation, and also, a lighter tummy for the morning's asana practice. This goes hand in hand with #3. Combined with good rest, you also must have fuel: eat three healthy vegetarian meals a day; do not eat before your practice if you are practicing in the early hours.


5.  Commit to one teacher/school when you are first learning. When you start, practice three days a week for one month, progressing to five days a week after. Later, six days a week of continuous practice. 

6. Start doing your research. Learn the names of the postures and study them like you are taking an anatomy course. This will increase your awareness of your own body and influence you to make the positive changes in your life so that you can continue to do this practice and develop a healthy relationship with yourself.


7. Borrow a DVD from your teacher or another student at the yoga school so you can practice and learn at home if you do not go to the shala or a yoga school. This is a wise tool to use if you are doggin' it one day and miss your practice time, or have a hard time getting motivated. This is better than not practicing at all and skipping it altogether.


8. The first two weeks should be repetitive, your initial goal is to feel better and breathe. Move slowly in the practice - don't think you have to learn the primary series in a month! Sun Salutations. Work on these for three days to three weeks. This will give you foundations. Once you memorize the breath and the movements, these will be yours forever.


9. Focus on the basic movements of Surya Namaskar A and B, and learn the breath first. The other practice elements will come later. Especially if someone says to you, "bandha, drishti, vinyasa, dhyana, breath", and you are not sure, speak like an ashtangi and say, "Yes".


10. Take a beginner's series class to begin, or come to the next beginning class on February 11 - 9:30 am at the Ashtanga Yoga School of Philadelphia. Get yourself started on some foundations. Then, you can take practice. If you still can't get a chance to practice at a shala, do what you were taught during that class, 3x a week.


Happy practicing to you, and good luck on your ashtanga adventure.

Here is a great resource on how to start a yoga practice - Claudia's blog and book: SUPER HELPFUL!

http://earthyogi.blogspot.com/2011/04/32-suggestions-how-to-start-ashtanga.html



9 comments:

  1. Lovely Post, Sarah!
    I will pass it on to the Halifax, Nova Scotia shala folks. I love teaching beginners too, but I find many of them intimidated by Mysore classes. So many times, I`ve heard, ``Oh, I`m not advanced enough for Mysore.`` Thanks for reminding everyone that Mysore classes are truly a wonderful way for everyone to learn, no matter how long they`ve been practicing. Have fun covering for David and Happy Practicing. -Erica.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Erica! Yes, the practice of Mysore is so often misunderstood as advanced or too difficult for beginners. Thank you for your contribution and I hope to meet you in the future! Jai-ho! and happy practicing your way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sar-ahhhh! I love your posts!!! For all of you beginner's out there, Mysore is the way to go!! Led classes are actually more for experienced students since they have already learned the postures. Even though I wouldn't change the way I began yoga for anything, I wish I would have explored Mysore style classes earlier on. Another tip is to write things down. Start a practice journal. Even if you write one sentence about how you felt during your practice, it's something. Then you can go back when you need to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I stumbled on this post as I was searching for something to quell my anxieties about shifting from sporadically attending intro/prep/vinyasa classes 2-3x a week to a daily Mysore practice. Not sure why I have so much fear about it-- I think I'm mostly just intimidated-- but I really appreciate these encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gooooo, Tina! If you have a studio near by with a benevolent teacher willing to teach you - you've got samadhi coming your way. :) Thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the encouragement, Sarah, and for the wonderful resources on this blog! I'll be returning to it often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sarah. I had a quick question, is tomorrow (friday jan 26) a guided class or regular mysore? I was hoping to start easing back into the practice, but I still can't put full weight on my shoulder, so need to see what kind of modifications i should make. I'm either going to stop by tomorrow or coming sunday. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah Philip! Tomorrow is led at 7 am. You should come - we will talk about how to get you on your mat and modify when you get there! Hope you are well, look forward to seeing you soon! -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its really a good article. It gives me lots of pleasure and interest.
    5Rhythms

    ReplyDelete